Experiencing Your State Government – Citizen Orientation Training
ABOUT St. Paul 101
St. Paul 101 is a hands-on, in-person tour and experience of our Minnesota state Capitol and lawmaking in St. Paul-from a Biblical perspective. With the Capitol as our classroom, St. Paul 101 is the only on-site, real-time Biblically based program in the state designed to empower ordinary citizens for purposeful, authentic and effective action in support of good public policy in Minnesota.
WHY St. Paul 101
Why should you be interested in joining us? The two greatest commandments for Christians are Love of God and Love of our neighbor. What happens in our state government has everything to do with those two commandments! Our love for God motivates us. The Lord is the Law-giver, and He cares about laws. Jesus Himself said He didn’t come to abolish law but to uphold and fulfill it. If He’s concerned about law, we should be as well. Our love for our neighbor leads us to act. If we care about our neighbor, we’ll care about how laws enacted at the state government affect our neighbor. Do they protect our neighbor’s marriage and children or hurt them? Do they protect the sanctity of life or take it away? Do they protect the freedom to worship God or infringe upon it? Do they affirm what is good and just or not? We have a responsibility to love our neighbor in the arena of government. If we won’t, who will?
WHAT Will I Learn with St. Paul 101? St. Paul 101 helps citizens know how to confidently navigate the Minnesota state legislature and Capitol in St. Paul
- Where to park. (Map)
- How and where to reserve meeting space for both casual and official legislative business.
- Where to eat lunch, buy a cup of coffee, locate restrooms, accessibility options, etc.
- Participate in the Legislative Process
- Where and how to utilize the bill resources available through Senate and House Information offices.
- How and where to testify at a legislative hearing.
- How to read and track bills.
- Using the tools available for citizens to effectively interpret and follow the legislative process.
- Participating in grassroots networking activities.
- How and where to receive advanced training.
- Preparing citizens for leadership roles within their own circles of influence.
- Build Relationships with Lawmakers and their Staff
- How and when to contact district lawmakers about legislation.
- Promoting good public policy through servant leadership.
- Providing accountability through constituent action.
- St. Paul 101 DETAILS
- All St. Paul 101 trainings take place onsite at the State Capitol Campus in St. Paul (map), and are facilitated by Minnesota Family Council at a cost of $10/person or $35/family.
- St. Paul 101 is offered at least once per week while the Legislature is in Session (February- April), including twice per day on the scheduled date. Click on the session you would like to attend below to register.
- Available Dates Thursday, February 12 Morning Afternoon
- Thursday, February 19 Morning AfternoonThursday, February 26 Morning AfternoonThursday, March 5 Morning Afternoon Thursday, March 12 Morning Afternoon Thursday, March 19 Morning Afternoon
- TIMES: 8:45am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:15pm (Morning and afternoon trainings are the same.) Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or assistance.
- WE WILL LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN ST. PAUL!
- Invite your friends to join you! Space is limited.